The Southern Poverty Law Center designated the Family Research Council as a hate group. There’s been some recent criticism of that designation, particularly in light of the apparently politically-motivated shooting of at an FRC office. The defense, essentially, is that FRC is way too mainstream to be a hate group.
I have a lot of respect for the Southern Poverty Law Center. They’re smart people—and they don’t make this sort of designation lightly. I think this sort of reflexive endorsement of Akin should help everybody understand where the SPLC is coming from on their designation. The willingness to promote obviously and verifiably false and harmful misinformation in order to attack perceived political enemies is pretty characteristic of a hate group.
I don’t think everybody who disagrees with me on LGBT issues is hateful. I also don’t think we should limit our designation of hate groups to fringe organizations. After all, the Klan was once pretty mainstream—and it was definitely a hate group.
You may not agree with SPLC’s designation. But perhaps FRC’s reflexive willingness to traffic in falsehoods to advance their political agenda at least gives you a sense of where SPLC was coming from.
I’m not surprised to see FRC line up behind Akin, since Akin’s views are pretty widespread among right-wing Christians.
- marytmitchellw likes this
- mydaywithd reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- maxmaxmaaaax reblogged this from dendroica
- opakakaek likes this
- corroborate likes this
- serveonlythyself said: This x1000. Anyone that supports Akin at all at this point loses all credibility and all ground to defend themselves against criticism.
- serveonlythyself likes this
- misterjt likes this
- wolffeeder likes this
- reb-ellious likes this
- dendroica reblogged this from silas216
- dendroica likes this
- divinedebris likes this
- jamescurryiv likes this
- minimage likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from squashed
- silas216 likes this
- indianajosh likes this
- feelingthatibelonged likes this
- end-the-republican-mafia reblogged this from squashed
- questionall likes this
- fatchance likes this
- sarahlee310 likes this
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from squashed
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- shorterexcerpts likes this
- lepus likes this
- pizzakate likes this
- squashed posted this