The walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) is a large flippered marine mammal with a discontinuous distribution about the North Pole in the Arctic Ocean and subarctic seas of the Northern Hemisphere. The walrus is the only living species in the Odobenidae family and Odobenus genus. This species is subdivided into three subspecies: the Atlantic walrus (O. r. rosmarus) which lives in the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific walrus (O. r. divergens) which lives in the Pacific Ocean, and O. r. laptevi, which lives in the Laptev Sea of the Arctic Ocean.
Adult walruses are easily recognized by their prominent tusks, whiskers, and bulkiness. Adult males in the Pacific can weigh more than 1,700 kg (3,700 lb) and, among pinnipeds, are exceeded in size only by the two species of elephant seals. Walruses live mostly in shallow waters above the continental shelves, spending significant amounts of their lives on the sea ice looking for benthic bivalve mollusks to eat. Walruses are relatively long-lived, social animals, and they are considered to be a “keystone species” in the Arctic marine regions.
The walrus has played a prominent role in the cultures of many indigenous Arctic peoples, who have hunted the walrus for its meat, fat, skin, tusks, and bone. During the 19th century and the early 20th century, walruses were widely hunted and killed for their blubber, walrus ivory, and meat. The population of walruses dropped rapidly all around the Arctic region. Their population has rebounded somewhat since then, though the populations of Atlantic and Laptev walruses remain fragmented and at low levels compared with the time before human interference.
- silas216 likes this
- bigstarlet likes this
- ofkingsblood likes this
- justmistergreen reblogged this from dendroica
- draayder reblogged this from dendroica
- regal-ish reblogged this from dendroica
- wolffeeder reblogged this from dendroica
- spinalinjuries reblogged this from dendroica
- pieces-of-emilie reblogged this from dendroica
- theyseemerollins likes this
- quinona41 reblogged this from dendroica
- musicisthemedicinetomysoul likes this
- son-pereda likes this
- wolffeeder likes this
- clatterbane likes this
- pieces-of-emilie likes this
- jenn2d2 likes this
- sspoinkk reblogged this from dendroica and added:
- alice44 likes this
- gingerelephants likes this
- dendroica posted this