A train carrying crude oil and liquefied petroleum gas derailed west of Edmonton, Alberta, on Saturday, causing an explosion and fire but no injuries, Canadian National Railway said on Saturday.
One rail car carrying liquefied petroleum gas on the westbound train exploded and three others also caught fire. Emergency crews battled the flames and worked to prevent the burning cars from triggering more explosions, a municipal authority spokesman said.
Residents were evacuated from Gainford, Alberta, 85 km (53 miles) from the provincial capital Edmonton, after the accident, which highlighted concerns in Canada about moving oil by rail. The community, part of the municipality of Parkland County, has a population of just over 100 people.
"We have cars on fire right now and there was an explosion earlier this morning. The major priority right now for our guys out in the field is containing these fires," said Parkland County spokesman Carson Mills.
It is the third Canadian National Railway derailment in recent weeks and is likely to fan opposition to the crude-by-rail boom taking place in Canada as the country’s oil producers seek alternatives to congested pipelines.
Rail safety has become a central issue in Canada since the incident in Lac-Mégantic, Quebec, in July, when a runaway train carrying crude products exploded in the center of the town, killing 47 people.
CN Rail said 13 cars had derailed in the accident in Alberta, which happened at around 1 a.m. There were no injuries, but local authorities evacuated the area as a precaution, CN spokesman Louis-Antoine Paquin said in an email. Nine of the derailed cars were carrying liquefied petroleum gas and four carried crude. The crude oil cars were intact and kept away from the fires with no indications of any leaks.
- classichomestar likes this
- ninfia likes this
- entelechyengine reblogged this from uncrossing and added:
- uncrossing reblogged this from aboriginalnewswire
- oldparasitesingle reblogged this from resistkxl
- thetruekingsdaughter likes this
- plorans-ploravit reblogged this from dendroica and added:
- blissandzen likes this
- other-stuff reblogged this from spilltracking
- spilltracking reblogged this from randomactsofchaos
- alice44 likes this
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- aboriginalnewswire reblogged this from resistkxl
- calixvile likes this
- missground likes this
- jenn2d2 likes this
- astralsailor reblogged this from deadwicked
- dakotapuma likes this
- d34d1n51d3 reblogged this from deadwicked
- weather-underground likes this
- effectiveresistance reblogged this from resistkxl
- hackr likes this
- fattyfalldown likes this
- quixylvre reblogged this from resistkxl and added:
- deadwicked reblogged this from resistkxl
- deadwicked likes this
- quixylvre likes this
- resistkxl reblogged this from dendroica
- clatterbane reblogged this from dendroica
- randomactsofchaos reblogged this from dendroica
- randomactsofchaos likes this
- dendroica posted this